Capt. Cornelius Wheeler

Captain Cornelius Wheeler
Cornelius Wheeler was born in Worcester on 22 October 1781, son of Samuel Wheeler and his wife Mary, née Hide. Aged 15, Cornelius entered the HEIC, Home Establishment, sponsored amongst others by his godfather Joseph Berwick, a Worcester banker. He became Chief Clerk (Tea Department) on 30 March 1829. Meanwhile he had been gazetted Ensign in the 1st Regiment, REIV on 16 May 1800, and Lieutenant of Artillery on 28 March 1805. He was gazetted Captain, REIV Infantry, on 9 October 1821. 

Cornelius married Catherine Robinson (1786– 1820) at St Margaret’s Lothbury, City of London on 22 June 1805. Their first son Cornelius Wheeler jnr was born on 10 April 1806. They had four more children: Henry (1808), George (1810), Catherine (1812), and Charles (1815). His wife Catherine died on 3 July 1820 and was buried at St Mary Woolnoth in the City (1). 

Marriage Bann for
Cornelius & Catherine 
Cornelius became a member of the Royal Thames Yacht Club in 1828, was elected Treasurer in 1831, and served in that capacity until 1856. When the REIV was disbanded in 1834 the officers of the Corps were allowed to retain the rank and honours belonging to their respective commissions by King William IV as a mark of approbation. Captain Wheeler’s HEIC uniform is on loan to the National Army Museum. 

Cornelius Wheeler snr married his first cousin Frances Hide (2) [677] (1790–1867) at All Saints, Worcester on 29 March 1828. Their descendants include the journalist Sir Charles Cornelius Wheeler (1923–2008) and his daughter Marina Wheeler, Mrs Boris Johnson (1964–). Cornelius snr died on 25 March 1861, outliving his son Cornelius jnr by 12 years. At the time of his death he was living at Bath Terrace, Camberwell New Road. The grave at Norwood (grave 7,488, square 73), was purchased on 30 March 1861 by his widow Frances. Extended on 4 June 1862, the plot is now 9 ft 6 in by 5 ft in extent. The total cost was £16 10s. In addition to Cornelius snr, Frances herself, their daughter-in-law Mathilda Phillippa née Lowdon (1832–1868), wife of Cornelius jnr, and their daughters Frances (1829–1906), Caroline (1832–1912) and Emma (1836–1921) are also buried there.

(1) Subsequently she was reburied at Ilford Cemetery on 29 December 1892.   
(2) On 10th April 1828 he wrote from East India House for a licence for his pleasure boat, The Fanny (named after his wife), to ‘sail round the coast of Great Britain and to Foreign Parts’. It was 21 ft x 7 ft with 2 oars and 7 sails, carrying 3 fowling pieces, 10 lb of powder and ball, value £60.

Wheeler Family Monument Norwood, Lambeth UK